Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Star Trek II: Demon Warrior?

In a walk down Star Trek books past, Vonda N McIntyre discusses some of her experiences writing Star Trek books and adapting several of the movies. I remember reading many of her books, my Dad at one time owning pretty much every paperback Star Trek book that ever came out (before giving most of them away). One of her stories is the news that Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan had several potential names in the works.
Somebody in the licensing department at Paramount called me and said, “What do you think of The Revenge of Khan?”

This was just about the time The Return of the Jedi was scheduled to debut, though the title hadn’t been released yet and the gossip was that it would be called Revenge of the Jedi.

They sent me a copy of the cover. It was quite handsome, with The Revenge of Khan in gold embossing (which is expensive and takes longer).

“OK,” sez I. I didn’t actually care what they called it since they weren’t going to use Demon Warrior (I knew I’d remember that eventually).

A few weeks later I saw an article about The Return of the Jedi, with a quote to the effect that it had never been going to be called “Revenge,” nuh-uh, because Jedi knights don’t indulge in revenge.

I fell on the floor laughing.
The full blog post is here and worth the read as are her books.

No comments:

Post a Comment