Thursday, March 12, 2009

A New Star Trek Series?

With the upcoming movie possibly launching the 2.0 universe that wipes the slate clean on the last 40 years of Star Trek continuity, it was only a matter of time before talk of a new TV series started.

Bryan Fuller, creator of Pushing Daisies, current writer on Heroes, and previous Trek writer has indicated he would like to relaunch the franchise on the small screen.
"I told my agent and told the people of J.J. Abrams' team I want to create another Star Trek series and have an idea that I’m kicking around. I would love to return to the spirit of the old series with the colours and attitude. I loved Voyager and Deep Space Nine, but they seem to have lost the ‘60s fun and I would love to take it back to its origin."

"Somehow, it got cold over the years. I love Next Generation, but it’s a little cooler and calmer than the ones from the ‘60s, which were so dynamic and passionate. Deep Space Nine was the best of the modern ones, because it was so emotionally complicated. Enterprise was the most sterile of all of them, when it should have been the most fun. Star Trek has to recreate itself. Otherwise, all the characters start to feel the same. You always have a captain, a doctor, a security officer, and you have the same arguments based on those perspectives. It starts to feel too familiar. So all those paradigms where it takes place on a starship have to be shaken up."
Over all I have to agree with assessment of the various series. To me, the final two seasons of Deep Space Nine was Star Trek at its very best and only just hinted at the franchise's full potential. I do believe a complete return back to the TOS series of simplicity would be a mistake but a balance can be found, it just takes the right minds to do it. It is interesting to note that this seems to prove that

1 comment:

  1. No offense to Bryan Fuller, but I don't want anyone who had anything whatsoever to do with Berman-Trek to do a new Star Trek series. If they're going to do a new Trek series, it better be real Star Trek -- Kirk, Spock, and the Enterprise.

    I wouldn't mind seeing a quality CGI series.

    ReplyDelete