Wednesday, December 26, 2012

JJ Abrams Offered Chance At Star Wars, Turned It Down

Turns out that Empire's new issue has more then just some new photos and story plot points. It also revealed that Disney, new owner of Star Wars, spoke with the director to see if he was interested in directing Star Wars Episode VII. This was not to say he was going to do it, more then likely Disney is trying to firm up their short list of candidates. Abrams cited his loyalty to Star Trek as one of reasons he turned down the chance.
"I'm committed to three [Star Trek films]. That's the contract I signed. And as far as I know, everyone else is in the same situation. But there's obviously room for both Star Trek and Star Wars," he added. "We both have plenty of things to offer sci-fi. But I'm not saying any more that that! There are more than enough Star Wars stories around at the moment!"

"There were the very early conversations and I quickly said that because of my loyalty to Star Trek, and also just being a fan, I wouldn't even want to be involved in the next version of those things. I declined any involvement very early on. I'd rather be in the audience not knowing what was coming, rather than being involved in the minutiae of making them."

"I'm a huge fan of Star Wars, Empire and Jedi, and the idea of the world continuing is exciting and will be amazing. Kathy Kennedy is a friend and there are no smarter producers. It's in great hands."

No comments:

Post a Comment