In an interview with AICN, Star Trek: Discovery's show runner Bryan Fuller provided a few new details on the upcoming series. Sadly no real casting or story news. Just how the sausage is made hirings and early script assignments.
- Lead non-captain female character is called "Number One" (as in first officer or first lieutant, the ship's second in command). It was used by Picard towards Riker in The Next Generation.
- While the first season is only 13 episodes long, show runner Bryan Fuller indicated he would ahve been fine with only 10 episodes per year.
- The first episode is co-written by Bryan Fuller and Alex Kurtzman (Star Trek 2009), the second episode by Nicholas Meyer (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country).
- Recently added co-showrunners are Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts who worked on Wonderfalls, Pushing Daisies, Roswell and Reign.
- Jess Alexander (Alias, Hannibal) and Kemp Powers (One Night in Miami) have joined the writer's room which already includes Joe Menosky (Star Trek Voyager's Year of Hell), Kristen Beyer (Voyager novels), and Aron Eli Coleite (Heroes).
- Time travel, used at least two times per season of every Star Trek series ever (according to Fuller), will not be used in first season of Discovery.