TrekMovie has posted an updated on the status of Star Trek 3 that is set aiming for a Summer 2016 release date which is the 50th Anniversary year for the franchise.
- 1st draft of script is completed and approved by Paramount
- Pre-production has begun (character design, new character casting goals, pre-viz, etc.)
- Roberto Orci likely to direct but still not officially confirmed
- Principal photography aiming for mid-February 2015 start
- Release date potentially Summer 2016 for franchise's 50th Anniversary
- Story will be set during the "Five Year Mission" referred at end of Into Darkness
It sounds like that the new movie will now begin as the TV series did - with an experienced crew, familiar with each other, and already have engaged on multiple off screen adventures during their mission to "explore strange new worlds..." (you know the rest). As for release date, the assumption is May 2016 but that month is just ugly with steep competition as Captain America 3, X-Men: Apocalypse, and Alice in Wonderland 2 are debuting that month. June and July doesn't get any better. If Paramount is determined for a Summer release then that leaves August but I think by then most families will be broke and suffering from sequel fatigue considering the overall 2016 movie schedule. To me the best best are an April release with a November/December window as the back-up plan.