Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Bana On His Cameo Role

While promoting his next movie, The Other Boleyn Girl, Eric Bana spoke with Coming Soon about his role in Star Trek XI, specfically his "cameo" as the main villian Nero.

You've said that your character Nero will only be making a cameo in the upcoming "Star Trek," but isn't he the main villain? What can you say about that?
Bana: Well, I guess he kind of is, but I guess what I mean is that in the context of the roles I usually do, the weight is firmly on other areas, you know what I mean? It's not one of those roles where you're carrying the movie, is what I'm saying. I feel like I'm very much in a supporting role, not one of the main guys. So "cameo" is a way of saying I don't feel like, as I am in this film or some other films, where you're clearly carrying a lot of the film. It's a luxury to not be in that position. It's nice to be offered a part like that.

What made you want to do it?
Bana: I couldn't resist. I read it and I know J.J. pretty well and there was just no way to say no, it's just too much fun.

So you're not a Trekkie?
Bana: I like the show, I liked the original as a kid. I loved it. I haven't seen a lot of the movies since, but I was a fan of the original series. But even if I was crazy about the original series, that wouldn't have been enough to make me sign on to a film I didn't want to do. I just read the script and I went "That is an awesome script" and it's J.J. and it'd be a good time, to play a character like that. It was a very easy decision.

Have you filmed your part yet?
Bana: No, they started shooting quite a while ago. I've got the plum gig on that film, I've gotta say. I haven't even started yet. I just go in at the very end and do my cameo.
(source)

No comments:

Post a Comment