Sunday, December 4, 2016

Fuller Verifies No Longer Part of Star Trek: Discovery

Bryan Fuller has officially confirmed that he no longer has anything to do with Star Trek: Discovery. When it was announced was no longer the showrunner, it was suggested that he could continue to stay on as advisor and writer. To me it just read as Hollywood nonsense to allow those involved to save face. I continue to think that CBS outright fired him because his attention was clearly focused on his lucrative projects of American Gods and Amazing Stories. While my theory will likely forever remained unconfirmed, Fuller himself did verify that he has no part of Star Trek: Discovery as it soon begins filming.
Ultimately, with my responsibilities [elsewhere], I could not do what CBS needed to have done in the time they needed it done for Star Trek. It felt like it was best for me to focus on landing the plane with American Gods and making sure that was delivered in as elegant and sophisticated a fashion as I could possibly do.

I’m not involved in production, or postproduction, so I can only give them the material I’ve given them and hope that it is helpful for them. I’m curious to see what they do with it.”

2 comments:

  1. Hmm... I really don't know how to feel about that. I kind of felt interested and invested when I knew that Fuller was at the helm. I wonder if he himself wasn't interested and invested enough in the project to continue or whether he had some creative differences with the studio and decided to step down or was made to step down. I just hope that CBS doesn't mess up this attempt at launching another Star Trek TV-show. I was kind of looking forward to that. What are your thoughts on the matter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt that Star Trek was in good hands with Fuller but at the same time clearly the show was only getting some of his attention as most of it was focused on American Gods. As a result it is safe to assume Trek never had him to begin with and likely most of the decisions were being made by others anyway as he was busy doing his HBO show. So really we are in the same position always in when something new with Star Trek starts - fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

    ReplyDelete